Installing Your Decal
Preparing Your Wall
- Only apply the wall decal to surfaces that are in good condition prior to application. The wall should have two coats of paint and be correctly primed before application. Do not apply to walls where paint is flaking or in need to repair.
- Make sure your newly painted wall has been properly primed prior to painting and allow at least 30 days to dry after painting before application.
- We recommend avoiding walls painted with a Teflon and Wash and Wear based paint as these paints will reduce the adhesion of your decal.
- If you are unsure if you have Teflon or Wash and Wear based paint, you may wish to purchase our Colour Chat + Product Sample for $12.50, so you can try before you buy.
- If you know that your walls are painted with a Teflon or Wash and Wear based paint then we recommend using a self adhesive prep coat prior to installation. This increases the adhesion of the decal. See links below:
- Ensure the surface is clean, dry and free from dust and oils. Use a warm, damp cloth or sponge to thoroughly clean the surface before application. Allow to completely dry. Do not use any chemicals or cleaning solutions.
- DO NOT apply on textured surfaces such as brick, concrete, timber or a rendered wall, as the decal won’t be able to make complete contact with the underlying surface.
Applying Your Decal To The Wall
- Clean your wall thoroughly and allow it to dry for 24 hours before application.
- Mark out the desired placement on the wall before removing the backing.
TIP: Use Blu Tack or painters tape to find desired placement first, with backing still on.
TIP: We recommend 2 people for Queen and King Size Headboards installs to ensure your headboard is level.
- Start at the top of the decal and work your way down. Peel the backing away (roughly 10cm) and stick the decal to the wall. DO NOT touch the adhesive side.
- Using the palm of your hand work down the applied section to help smooth out and adhere to the wall firmly.
- Working in small increments, once the first 10cm section is firmly in place, remove more of the backing and work your way down the wall. The key is to work slowly, removing small amounts of backing at a time.
TIP: If you get a wrinkle or bubble in the headboard while installing, just peel back that area and re-apply with the palm of your hand.
NOTE: If a bubble re-appears over the next day or two, pressing and lightly rubbing should remove it. Bubbles may continue to occur if oil, dirt, or dust has not been removed properly from the surface, if the wall had been painted within 30 days of application or cleaning chemicals were used during preparation.
- Do not remove all the backing at once, as this will cause issues when trying to apply the decal evenly to the wall.
- For full effect, your decal headboard is designed to sit roughly 2cm - 3cm below the top of the mattress. However they are also designed to suit your personal style. You can stick the decal lower for a smaller arch however this may hide some of the beautiful design, especially if you have tall pillows.
- Place a Queen or King size headboard behind the cot in your baby’s nursery to create a beautiful arch around the cot. Stick the decal above the skirting board and centre the cot in the middle.